Skin ageing and prevention.
Skin, inevitably, ages and there are some things that cannot be done to prevent this.
However, there are certain influences that we can adopt to prevent our skin from ageing.
Bear in mind that the natural ageing process cannot be manipulated in any way; in time we will acquire visible lines and the skin will lose its elasticity and begin to sag and thin. It is our genetics that largely control when these changes occur. The medical term given is, ‘intrinsic ageing’.
Rewinding back to how we are able to reduce premature skin ageing, the question comes into play of what can really be done?
Note that the sun plays a massive role in the premature ageing of skin, thus why many dermatologists agree and suggest that wearing sunscreen daily can aid in preventing ageing skin.
Below are the following tips dermatologists offer patients:
1. Sun protection, every day – No matter what your daily/weekly commute entails, protecting your exposed skin from the sun is essential. Even when it’s overcast. Slather on some 30-factor before you leave the house and enjoy your day.
2. Skip tanning – Rather than going on sunbeds and spending hours out in the sun building up your perfect tan, opt for self-tanner. That way, you are simultaneously gaining a tan and protecting your skin from the harmful UV rays.
3. Quit bad habits – This applies to exessive drinking and those who smoke. Smoking is a major benefactor in the ageing of skin as it causes wrinkles and makes skin appear sallow. Drinking alcohol will dehydrate the skin and damage it.
4. Exercise most days of the week – Studies have shown that moderate exercise can improve circulation and boost the immune system. From this, skin acquires a youthful appearance.
5. Cleanse gently – When you are scrubbing your skin clean, you are irritating the surface and cosntant skin irritation can accelerate skin ageing. When cleansing, wash gently so to remove makeup, pollution, and other bits of dirt without irritating your skin. Ensure that you wash your skin as soon as you can after it has perspirated; especially when wearing a hat or helmet which will irritate your skin.
6. Moisturise – Moisturising daily will help in keeping your skin looking youthful as the moisturiser will trap water in the skin and keep hydrated. Also, if you are using any skin care products that are stinging or burning your skin, discontinue use immediately. The irritation will cause skin to look older.
There is still a chance…
Those who already show signs of premature skin ageing can benefit from making minor lifestyle changes.
Adopting the routine of protecting your skin from the sun through applying the sunscreen and shielding skin from the sun, you are allowing your skin to repair itself from damage. Additionally, smokers who had quit often notice an improvement in the overall appearance of their skin.
If there are any signs of ageing skin and this is bothering you, you might want to see a dermatologist.
There are a variety of new treatments and less-invasive procedures that are able to smooth wrinkles, tighten skin as well as improve complexion.
For further information about non-invasive cosmetic procedures, please visit our website or pop into our Birmingham clinic!
Or you can fill in your details below, and leave any questions or enquiries you have about our treatments.